I'm writing this entry on my BlackBerry as I'm driving through the city. I feel this would be a good time to write as I'm feeling a lot of emotions right now: scared, frustrated, uneasy, nervous and mostly not wanting to be alone.
In light of all the attacks in Kabul today all staff have been evacuated from the office. Its a scary feeling to be driving through the deserted parts of the city, very few cars, lots of security vehicles, not many people moving about as usual. From what we know the Taleban still have hostages inside the ministry, I'm sure we will all be updated in the next few hours. We've been told that there could be more attacks today so as I sit in the car for the first time I am worried and my stomach is uneasy.
I don't write this entry to worry you but write it in hopes that all of you out there reading appreciate the security in living in a safe country. I've been scared a few of my days in kabul but I think of my Afghan collegues who have lived in fear for years. At the end of the day I can always go back home, go to my peaceful existence, but my colleagues have lived, do live and will live with the instability at least for the next few years. This experience has pushed me like no other and for that I'm thankful. And at the end of the day I've really realized how lucky I've been for all 20 something years of my life. If anything say thanks today for the freedom you have and if you have a second wish, pray, do whatever you do and hope
that one day the people in this country have the same luxury that we often taken for granted.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment